Yandex rallied 6.6% on Thursday as Geneva Ukraine talks yield first positive political developments in weeks from the core parties.
Russian (RSX, quote) stocks in US afternoon trading have caught fire as the outcome from the Geneva discussions shows some tangible progress beyond merely a constructive tone that was all markets could have expected to gain from the event.
While I’m not surprised to see the weekend press dominated by the impact of sanctions on Russian macro, I have been pretty clear in saying the Russian economy was headed for flat to slightly higher (+0.5%) GDP growth in 2014 unless the world economy demanded much greater from the commodity space.
Russian Bounce: If you are playing Russia and have a view of Putin’s more conciliatory tone allows you to trade the overdone moves in many names.
Yandex (YNDX, quote), the Google of Russia, is +4.5% today and now +9% in 3 days after the drubbing of EM and Russia saw a lot of momentum players sell stock and some directional players shorting stock.
- Your first trade for Wednesday, June 28Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-06-28
- China launches new destroyerSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-28
- China introduces emergency cybersecurity planSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-27
- 4 ways to trade energy in a down yearSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-06-27
- Large floods may threaten central, southern ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-27
- Another 20 taken off missing people’s list in China landslideSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-27
- China adopts intelligence lawSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-27
- Woman under probe for flipping coins in aircraft engineSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-27
- Your first trade for Wednesday, June 28