Yandex rallied 6.6% on Thursday as Geneva Ukraine talks yield first positive political developments in weeks from the core parties.
Russian (RSX, quote) stocks in US afternoon trading have caught fire as the outcome from the Geneva discussions shows some tangible progress beyond merely a constructive tone that was all markets could have expected to gain from the event.
While I’m not surprised to see the weekend press dominated by the impact of sanctions on Russian macro, I have been pretty clear in saying the Russian economy was headed for flat to slightly higher (+0.5%) GDP growth in 2014 unless the world economy demanded much greater from the commodity space.
Russian Bounce: If you are playing Russia and have a view of Putin’s more conciliatory tone allows you to trade the overdone moves in many names.
Yandex (YNDX, quote), the Google of Russia, is +4.5% today and now +9% in 3 days after the drubbing of EM and Russia saw a lot of momentum players sell stock and some directional players shorting stock.
- Beijing plans culture and tech integrated developmentSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-17
- All 38 delegations arrive in Beijing for CPC congressSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-17
- Chinese police repatriate ‘Red Notice’ fugitive to USSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- China announces new gravitational wave observationSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- China to pilot lawyer mediation systemSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- CPC officials lead poverty relief work in rural ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- Delegates gather in Beijing for key Party congressSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- China wins bid to host 2021 WorldSkillsSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- College girl’s one-year peacekeeping mission in South SudanSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- Beijing shantytowns finish renovation ahead of scheduleSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-16
- Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countrySource: Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countryPublished on 2017-06-30
- Beijing plans culture and tech integrated development