While only a small sample of the last Monday emerging market equities are outperforming the SPX despite the bloodletting in commodities. Today Copper (JJC, quote) is -4% and we are seeing industrial metals tank but EM equities are holding serve.
The highly anticipated Federal Reserve meeting and statement release later this afternoon has market participants on pause with gold (GLD, quote), silver (SLV, quote) and copper (JJC, quote) futures basically flat ahead of the U.S open.
So much for China (FXI, quote) leading a plunge in copper (JJC, quote) prices as inventories tied to collateral for loans were being dumped. Industrial growth globally is near multi-year highs across Europe US and much of Asia.
A lot of macro data around the world last night into the early morning and while European data missed the mark, China delivered. China continues to deliver and the implications are positive for the commodity space. Meanwhile, the Fed may be asleep at the switch when it comes to inflationary pressures.
It’s been a busy week in Emerging Markets and the Emerging Money Team has been busying bring cutting through call the chatter to bring to you what matters. Here is a quick wrap up to prepare for next week’s trading. Have great weekend until next week. Emerging Money Team
Copper prices continue their climb higher this morning to an eight week high. Copper, sometimes referred to as Dr. Copper, is considered a benchmark by many as a barometer on the health of the global economy.
CRB (Commodity Index) at highs not seen since Oct 2012.
- Heavy rain continues to batter localities in ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Xinjiang to recruit more than 11,000 teachersSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Rare cats verified in northwestSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Telecoms enforce tough real-name registrationSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Young people keen to follow gap year trendSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Beijing designers’ bus in the sky under constructionSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Man claims compensation for HIV errorSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Foreign crimes up in Shanghai FTZSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Beijing experience in battling air pollution worth sharingSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Xi promises better life for all minoritiesSource: China.orgPublished on 2016-05-26
- Trading the oil rally: 4 names to watchSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2016-05-25
- Final Trade: Schlumberger, Silver, & moreSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2016-05-25
- Fed might not raise at all: SchiffSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2016-05-25
- Fade oil rally?Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2016-05-25
- Zuma pledges South Africa’s friendship to Palestine’s AbbasSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2016-05-25
- Heavy rain continues to batter localities in China