While only a small sample of the last Monday emerging market equities are outperforming the SPX despite the bloodletting in commodities. Today Copper (JJC, quote) is -4% and we are seeing industrial metals tank but EM equities are holding serve.
The highly anticipated Federal Reserve meeting and statement release later this afternoon has market participants on pause with gold (GLD, quote), silver (SLV, quote) and copper (JJC, quote) futures basically flat ahead of the U.S open.
So much for China (FXI, quote) leading a plunge in copper (JJC, quote) prices as inventories tied to collateral for loans were being dumped. Industrial growth globally is near multi-year highs across Europe US and much of Asia.
A lot of macro data around the world last night into the early morning and while European data missed the mark, China delivered. China continues to deliver and the implications are positive for the commodity space. Meanwhile, the Fed may be asleep at the switch when it comes to inflationary pressures.
It’s been a busy week in Emerging Markets and the Emerging Money Team has been busying bring cutting through call the chatter to bring to you what matters. Here is a quick wrap up to prepare for next week’s trading. Have great weekend until next week. Emerging Money Team
Copper prices continue their climb higher this morning to an eight week high. Copper, sometimes referred to as Dr. Copper, is considered a benchmark by many as a barometer on the health of the global economy.
CRB (Commodity Index) at highs not seen since Oct 2012.
- Chinese billionaire donates 20M yuan for landslide victimsSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-25
- 15 found dead in SW China landslide burying 120Source: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- China’s lawyers association signs MOU with Belt, Road nationsSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- Xi stresses enhancing rocket launch, test capabilitySource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 2 confirmed dead after heavy rain slashes C. ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- Hong Kong’s future will be bright with support of mainland: K. Wah Group chairmanSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 2 pandas to leave for Germany for 15-year researchSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 16 arrested for illegally selling Apple user data in ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- Over 100 buried in southwest China landslideSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 8 ways to trade this week’s extreme moversSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-06-23
- Chinese billionaire donates 20M yuan for landslide victims