While only a small sample of the last Monday emerging market equities are outperforming the SPX despite the bloodletting in commodities. Today Copper (JJC, quote) is -4% and we are seeing industrial metals tank but EM equities are holding serve.
The highly anticipated Federal Reserve meeting and statement release later this afternoon has market participants on pause with gold (GLD, quote), silver (SLV, quote) and copper (JJC, quote) futures basically flat ahead of the U.S open.
So much for China (FXI, quote) leading a plunge in copper (JJC, quote) prices as inventories tied to collateral for loans were being dumped. Industrial growth globally is near multi-year highs across Europe US and much of Asia.
A lot of macro data around the world last night into the early morning and while European data missed the mark, China delivered. China continues to deliver and the implications are positive for the commodity space. Meanwhile, the Fed may be asleep at the switch when it comes to inflationary pressures.
It’s been a busy week in Emerging Markets and the Emerging Money Team has been busying bring cutting through call the chatter to bring to you what matters. Here is a quick wrap up to prepare for next week’s trading. Have great weekend until next week. Emerging Money Team
Copper prices continue their climb higher this morning to an eight week high. Copper, sometimes referred to as Dr. Copper, is considered a benchmark by many as a barometer on the health of the global economy.
CRB (Commodity Index) at highs not seen since Oct 2012.
- Ackermann names strong match-day 23 for Super Rugby showdown against the CheetahsSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-02-23
- Your first trade for Thursday, February 23Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-02-23
- Infectious diseases kill 18,000 Chinese in 2016Source: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- China to step up property tax legislation: officialSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- 41 stranded by snow in ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region to draw ecological ‘red line’Source: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- Survey portrays confidence and concerns of ChineseSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- ID tags issued to troops in PLA unitsSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- Square dancers in Beijing may face punishment for public disturbanceSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- Deadly fire was ‘human error’Source: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-23
- China welcomes US-born panda homeSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-02-22
- Traders discuss how to trade Tesla’s stock after earningsSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-02-22
- Final Trade: AMAT, LB & moreSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-02-22
- Munster: Tesla will continue to move higherSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-02-22
- Tesla CFO Jason Wheeler to depart firm in AprilSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-02-22
- Ackermann names strong match-day 23 for Super Rugby showdown against the Cheetahs