Spike in volatility today is right on the money but a few days late. Where ya been? We argued last week that the S&P was running into exhaustion levels somewhere north of 9% from the 200mda. We think that headwind would have made sense under any technical scenario.
By relative measures to this bull run, at 10% over the 200mda its time to pause. Add in Ukraine and China risks and its not a question. The S&P is now down small YTD flat ytd but was at all-time highs 3 days ago. EM meanwhile is -4.5% in 5 sessions and now sits at historic spread lows to the SPY, quote (vs EEM, quote) at .2065. EM prices in risk fast, Europe tends to be a little jumpy as well.
The US market must understand that there needs to be some fear in how investors view the conditions of growth and the political backdrop that is only a degree or two away from talking a geo-political risk off into something that has financial ramifications. We continue to caution investors to protect their books with broader "risk sympathizers" like small caps (IWM, quote), materials (XLB, quote) , and EM FX. All will perform well here on the short side.
- More flights for winter tourist season in NE China airportSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-21
- Foreign journalists deem nation’s progress impressiveSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-21
- China bags 15 golds at WorldSkills contestSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-21
- Xiamen promotes green delivery ahead of online shopping bonanzaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-20
- 19th CPC National Congress election methods approvedSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-20
- WWF publishes Shanghai urban environment nature guidebookSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-20
- CPC national congress shows more openness, transparencySource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-20
- Xi’s report at key CPC meeting further strengthens global confidence in ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-20
- China to divert more water from Yangtze River to ShandongSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-10-19
- Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countrySource: Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countryPublished on 2017-06-30
- More flights for winter tourist season in NE China airport