Spike in volatility today is right on the money but a few days late. Where ya been? We argued last week that the S&P was running into exhaustion levels somewhere north of 9% from the 200mda. We think that headwind would have made sense under any technical scenario.
By relative measures to this bull run, at 10% over the 200mda its time to pause. Add in Ukraine and China risks and its not a question. The S&P is now down small YTD flat ytd but was at all-time highs 3 days ago. EM meanwhile is -4.5% in 5 sessions and now sits at historic spread lows to the SPY, quote (vs EEM, quote) at .2065. EM prices in risk fast, Europe tends to be a little jumpy as well.
The US market must understand that there needs to be some fear in how investors view the conditions of growth and the political backdrop that is only a degree or two away from talking a geo-political risk off into something that has financial ramifications. We continue to caution investors to protect their books with broader "risk sympathizers" like small caps (IWM, quote), materials (XLB, quote) , and EM FX. All will perform well here on the short side.
- Your first trade for Friday, August 18Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-08-18
- Beijing 8th cheapest city in the world for cab fareSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Smart unmanned capsule hotel opens in ChongqingSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- China moves to standardize recycling industrySource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- China audit finds poverty relief funds idleSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- House reconstruction begins in quake-hit XinjiangSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Air routes adjusted to protect largest radio telescopeSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Death toll rises to 8 in deadly coal mine landslideSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- China warns of geological disasters in some regionSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- HK Occupy Central student leaders jailedSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Fighter lands safely after catching fireSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countrySource: Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countryPublished on 2017-06-30
- Your first trade for Friday, August 18