For effectively 5 years Japans 10year benchmark has traded below the 200dma taking with it yields around the world. Japanese institutional investors are one of the biggest groups of investors who influence the flow of large insurance, pension, endowment and municipal allocations.
JGB yields with exception of four small periods during this 5 year run where they challenged a break higher have been a function of seemingly endless attempts by the BOJ to avert deflation. Today we are at another test of the 200dma and with that also a potential break above negative yields. With all the cross currents of asset classes at work here, we would argue the stage is set for a potential turning point on JGBs which will drive ALL markets globally.
We can wax on about correlations of asset classes but bottom line is that bonds have been pushing everything else around, including currencies, equities and commodities. Deflationary forces and attempts to fix them have forced Fed, BOJ, and the ECB into excessive action. The Fed arguably has altered policy by not exiting “EMERGENCY” status because of Japan (EWJ, quote). Arguably Deflationary forces and the actions of CBs put pressure downward on oil (USO, quote) that wasn’t just excess supply. The ECB exacerbated this move in January 2015 with their deepest plunge into quantitative easing which forced the USD (UUP, quote) higher and this is what really killed oil, but again I digress.
Login into your account to see how Tim is positioning his portfolio
To Subscribe Click Here
- Legal scholars hail right to dignity in CPC congress reportSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- 12 drug traffickers detained in SW ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Drunk driving kills five in east ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Chinese HPV vaccine gets permission for clinical testingSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Experts at home and abroad gather in Guizhou for exchangeSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Guardians of the heart of republicSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- AI carves out new routes for urban transportSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Corrupt Xinjiang ex-official sentencedSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Workplace accidents see declineSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- 6 fired for bungling response to TBSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-22
- Your first trade for Tuesday, November 21Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-21
- NYT’s James Stewart weighs in on DOJ’s lawsuit against AT&T and Time Warner mergerSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-20
- Stay away from big pharma?Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-20
- AT&T/Time Warner deal would give competitors incentive to raise prices: AnalystSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-20
- Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countrySource: Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countryPublished on 2017-06-30
- Legal scholars hail right to dignity in CPC congress report