As the SPX rallies to a fresh record today on better macro globally and a continuation of a cyclically rally that is encouraging higher rates, technicals are saying be cautious with the extreme level of optimism.
A look back on the SPX over 10 years illustrates we have not been this high on a 9d RSI (85.7) for the index since March 2010 when the SPX hit 86.08 on March 17th .
Ultimately March 17th was a top in market momentum that ushered in a reversal that was quick and sharp. The SPX pulled back from March 17th a bit before rallying to almost 83 9d RSI on April 14. That high signaled an important trading inflection point where the index then proceeded to head into a vicious -17% tailspin over 47 sessions, eventually bottoming on July 2, 2010.
Investors may argue that the conditions for this rally are very different with both synchronized macro growth and looming fiscal policy support. We would simply caution that these levels of optimism are at extreme levels and can argue that there are a handful of major negative catalysts that might force volatile price action from these lofty levels.
- 2 confirmed dead after heavy rain slashes C. ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- Hong Kong’s future will be bright with support of mainland: K. Wah Group chairmanSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 2 pandas to leave for Germany for 15-year researchSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 16 arrested for illegally selling Apple user data in ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- Over 100 buried in southwest China landslideSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-24
- 8 ways to trade this week’s extreme moversSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-06-23
- Xi stresses reform, development, stability during inspection tourSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-23
- Third BRICS environment ministers meeting held in ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-23
- Torrential rain affects 390,000 people in C. ChinaSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-23
- China’s draft law on supervision submitted for reviewSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-23
- Chinese lawmakers call for revision on product quality lawSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-06-23
- Qatar wants to invest in AAL: 5 tradesSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-06-22
- 2 confirmed dead after heavy rain slashes C. China