He went on to say the Fed won’t raise rates before returning to nominal levels and that drop of inflation is due to low crude oil (USO, quote) prices and other raw material. He believes this will be temporary and inflation will return to normal prices in the near future. Fischer added that a large part of the decline of inflation is temporary and has to do with the drop in the price of oil.
Just last week Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President Lockhart suggested a rate hike in September albeit he left the door open with comment barring no significant deterioration in the U.S. economy.
Add in comments from Fed Governor Powell on CNBC last week that “nothing has been decided”.
It seems the Fed Governors are trying not to forecast when the fist rate cut since 2008 will occur.
Bottom Line: With no real clear action yet on the beginning of a rate hike (I maintain the plan for future rate hikes once the Fed begins to hike is more important) there is however, a clear trend. The U.S. dollar (UUP, quote) remains strong and commodity prices remain under pressure despite the lack of transparently. I simply want to stay away from gold and other commodities and look at being long the U.S. dollar against commodity exporting currencies such as the Aussie or the Canadian dollar.
- Missing Chinese climber confirmed dead in TibetSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-18
- China honors founding scientist of FAST telescopeSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-18
- Xi shows great respect for two aged honoreesSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-18
- 5-magnitude earthquake hits TibetSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-18
- Beijing and nearby areas report more ‘good air’ daysSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-17
- Your first trade for Friday, November 17Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-17
- Xi honors ethical role modelsSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-17
- Xi Jinping to raise China higher: Indian expertSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-17
- Aerospace expertise used to identify, track pollutionSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-17
- Drama helps reaffirm life for cancer patientsSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-17
- Nanjing Massacre survivor dies; 99 remainSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-11-17
- Wal-Mart has awaken, and Amazon should be worried: Former JCP CEOSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-16
- Verizon in early stages of looking at 21st Century Fox’s assets: ReportSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-16
- CNBC parent Comcast & 21st Century Fox merger a good idea?Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-11-16
- Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countrySource: Xi calls on HK youths to serve HK, countryPublished on 2017-06-30
- Missing Chinese climber confirmed dead in Tibet