While only a small sample of the last Monday emerging market equities are outperforming the SPX despite the bloodletting in commodities. Today Copper (JJC, quote) is -4% and we are seeing industrial metals tank but EM equities are holding serve.
Yeah we know that commodities are suffering with a Strong U.S. Dollar, no China bid, oversupply… Tell me what I don’t know.
The highly anticipated Federal Reserve meeting and statement release later this afternoon has market participants on pause with gold (GLD, quote), silver (SLV, quote) and copper (JJC, quote) futures basically flat ahead of the U.S open.
So much for China (FXI, quote) leading a plunge in copper (JJC, quote) prices as inventories tied to collateral for loans were being dumped. Industrial growth globally is near multi-year highs across Europe US and much of Asia.
A lot of macro data around the world last night into the early morning and while European data missed the mark, China delivered. China continues to deliver and the implications are positive for the commodity space. Meanwhile, the Fed may be asleep at the switch when it comes to inflationary pressures.
Then why even after a 20% move lower today is it still trading like its offering Emerging Markets style growth?
China released PMI data last night for April’s manufacturing that came in at 50.4 which was better than March and slightly higher for the third straight month, but weaker than the 50.5 estimate economists expected.
Copper prices continue their climb higher this morning to an eight week high. Copper, sometimes referred to as Dr. Copper, is considered a benchmark by many as a barometer on the health of the global economy.
- WATCH: Boity’s gym game is bossSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-22
- Zonke gives fans a glimpse of her R2.1 million car collectionSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-22
- Huang Xingguo under graft investigationSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-22
- PLA helicopter crashes during night trainingSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-22
- 12 feared dead in central China landslideSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-22
- Chinese surgeons use 3D printer in pediatric heart surgerySource: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-21
- Beer giant AB InBev trims the fat at SABMillerSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-21
- Angry Kuga owners get bad news as PR disaster escalates for carmakerSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-21
- Guptas to sue Gordhan for ‘plotting’ to ruin themSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-21
- Egypt snatch late winner to eliminate UgandaSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-21
- Trump to preside over a ‘fiscal bloodbath’ instead of Reagan ‘reincarnation’: StockmanSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-01-21
- Gyan steers Ghana into Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finalsSource: South Africa Times Live – newsPublished on 2017-01-21
- Web users select China’s ‘Good Samaritans’Source: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-21
- Chinese gov’t to cut more red-tapeSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-21
- Beijing’s neighbor bans straw burning for cleaner airSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-01-21
- WATCH: Boity’s gym game is boss