While only a small sample of the last Monday emerging market equities are outperforming the SPX despite the bloodletting in commodities. Today Copper (JJC, quote) is -4% and we are seeing industrial metals tank but EM equities are holding serve.
Yeah we know that commodities are suffering with a Strong U.S. Dollar, no China bid, oversupply… Tell me what I don’t know.
The highly anticipated Federal Reserve meeting and statement release later this afternoon has market participants on pause with gold (GLD, quote), silver (SLV, quote) and copper (JJC, quote) futures basically flat ahead of the U.S open.
So much for China (FXI, quote) leading a plunge in copper (JJC, quote) prices as inventories tied to collateral for loans were being dumped. Industrial growth globally is near multi-year highs across Europe US and much of Asia.
A lot of macro data around the world last night into the early morning and while European data missed the mark, China delivered. China continues to deliver and the implications are positive for the commodity space. Meanwhile, the Fed may be asleep at the switch when it comes to inflationary pressures.
Then why even after a 20% move lower today is it still trading like its offering Emerging Markets style growth?
China released PMI data last night for April’s manufacturing that came in at 50.4 which was better than March and slightly higher for the third straight month, but weaker than the 50.5 estimate economists expected.
Copper prices continue their climb higher this morning to an eight week high. Copper, sometimes referred to as Dr. Copper, is considered a benchmark by many as a barometer on the health of the global economy.
- Beijing 8th cheapest city in the world for cab fareSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Smart unmanned capsule hotel opens in ChongqingSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- China moves to standardize recycling industrySource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- China audit finds poverty relief funds idleSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- House reconstruction begins in quake-hit XinjiangSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Air routes adjusted to protect largest radio telescopeSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Death toll rises to 8 in deadly coal mine landslideSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- China warns of geological disasters in some regionSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- HK Occupy Central student leaders jailedSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Fighter lands safely after catching fireSource: China.orgPublished on 2017-08-18
- Your first trade for Thursday, August 17Source: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-08-17
- Here’s how to build your cryptocurrency portfolioSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-08-16
- Tech legend Roger McNamee says a streaming bubble may be brewingSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-08-16
- Axios co-founder Jim VandeHei: What losing business support means for Trump’s agendaSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-08-16
- Big business just dumped the business PresidentSource: Fast MoneyPublished on 2017-08-16
- Beijing 8th cheapest city in the world for cab fare